Monday, October 5, 2009

WWW 2010

Yesterday, my crew had lunch with Matt and Sarah at Chevys (my stomach is still reeling). Part of our discussion was on possibilities for WWW 2010. I thought I would share a few of our thoughts.

First, we recognized the need to move WWW earlier in the year. Presently, 4 Greens and 1 Livingston have school so extended weekends are out of the question for them. Furthermore, even if we simply have a weekend WWW, we face potential conflicts with school activities held on Friday pm or Saturday. So, I think we must look at June, July, and early August dates. That, of course, means more money when it comes to accomodations.

Second, I would prefer to get away from St. Louis. While we saved money by staying in town this year, there really wasn't that much time spent sitting around a table, playing games, and just having fun together. Jake had to work one evening and Mandie had a band commitment on another. If we stay in the area, these types of things we always happen.

Third, my preference concerning the beach is to wait at least 1 more year. That would put 5 years between beach visits. I'm open to changing that thought but a summer beach trip is going to take some good lead time and extra money. My vote is no beach trip in 2010 but consider (and begin planning) 2011.

Fourth, I would like to find some place out West which would be a nice week long WWW and, perhaps, enable Jessi's family to participate. Colorado is an option though I have nothing specific in mind.

Fifth, most of our discussion turned to Yellowstone National Park as a potential WWW site. Yes, folks would have to plan for at least a 2 day trek there and back. Yellowstone has a lot to see and, if we chose to, there are sites in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana within a couple of hours drive we could visit. Matt has been there somewhat recently and I was there as a kid and both of us liked the park.

That's basically where we left the discussion. I'm planning on doing some investigation of potential places to stay at the park and estimating costs. However, nothing is locked in yet. If folks are not interested in Yellowstone then I might just take my crew out there and see Mt. Rushmore on the way for an extended 2010 vacation.

The purpose of this post is to make you aware of some early planning and to solicit your feedback. If you have other places in mind, let me know. If someone is expecting a grandchild next Summer, time to confess (or announce)! Seriously, any WWW 2010 input and feedback would be very appreciated.

No comments: