Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

My remembrances of the date are probably like many others. Sitting in my office at work, my co-worker next door heard about the first aircraft on his radio. We speculated about the possibility of this happening. Shortly afterwards he told me another plane had hit the other tower. We both realized at that point that our nation was under attack. By the time I left the office, he informed me the Pentagon had also been hit.

I was not going home, though, to watch television. I was scheduled to preach a funeral at Paul Funeral Home at 11 a.m. The building was packed and almost all the discussion was about the morning events, not about the deceased or their family. I managed to get through the service then ran home to watch the television for a couple of hours. Once again I had to drag myself away because I had a class to teach at Missouri Baptist that evening. It was a very long and very sad day.

My son has recorded his memories of this tragic day and I believe it is well worth everyone's attention.

No comments: