Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Have You Looked Up Lately?

As usual, I was out early on my morning walk today but, for some reason, I looked up into the sky as I began my trek. That's when I realized its been a while since I've looked up!

The moon was waning (maybe it was waxing; it wasn't full, that's for sure!) and, even with all the city lights, you could see several stars. It was quite an impressive sight. Every now and then during my walk I would glance up for a couple of seconds. When I reached home, I spent a couple of minutes just standing outside, gazing at the sky.

O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. ... When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? ... O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! (Psalm 8:1,
3-4, 9)

Perhaps it would be wise for each of us to take a timeout once a day. Instead of looking within ourselves and dwelling on all of our pains, failures, and shattered dreams, let's look up. Instead of looking around at our financial situation, our neighborhood concerns, and our nation's woes, let's look up. Let's spend a few moments each day looking up at the sky and pondering the One who is worthy of the glory those evening/morning lights declare.

No comments: