Saturday, August 2, 2008

Appetite (or loss thereof)

One of our Christian sisters has a blog which details, as she says, "one family's adventures on the food frontier". You will find her describing various edible "delights" she has served to her family. Now, I have always been somewhat of a picky eater (though Debbie has, to some degree, reduced my "pickiness") but I fear most of the food she has listed on her site would never make it into my mouth!

What I am finding interesting, though, is my personal loss of appetite even for those things which I have always enjoyed. I recall both mom and dad talking about this and never could understand how this could happen. But I am experiencing it as well.

For example, bologna sandwiches have always been a part of my diet (I use that term generically of course). Yesterday evening, though, when I opened the fridge to find something to eat, nothing really appealed to me, not even a bologna sandwich. There have been occurrences when I will make such a sandwich or a P & J and then only eat a portion of it because it loses its appear. After browsing the rest of the fridge, I settled on cereal and toast.

I guess the good news in this is I still like cereal and milk as well as burgers and fries! Maybe one of you relatives in the medical field can tell me the reason why "older" folks lose their appetites for food they have always loved. After you provide an explanation perhaps you can also provide a remedy!!!

No comments: