Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

Tomorrow we celebrate the truly American holiday of Thanksgiving. Despite all the present day “interpretations” of the first Thanksgiving celebration held in New England, we know our early American ancestors were not simply thankful to the Indians who helped them survive in their new home. Ultimately and primarily, the Pilgrims were thankful to God.

Every day demands we thank our Lord for His blessings. In fact, every moment we live is a blessing from God for which He deserves our thanks. “In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you” the Apostle Paul wrote (1 Thessalonians 5:18). However, Thanksgiving Day truly highlights all the Lord has done for us and provides us with one day where we can especially thank Him.

For this Thanksgiving Day, I want to thank the Lord for two special blessings: faith and family. The faith I have in Him to care for my eternal soul is a faith which came from Him. Why He chose to move in my life is beyond my comprehension. Why the Holy Spirit called me to salvation and regenerated my soul in a new spiritual birth is a mystery I’ll never fully understand (John 3). Yet through God’s saving grace and this new birth, He gave me the repentance and faith I needed to turn from sin and trust in Christ. I agree with Jonah: “Salvation is of the LORD” (Jonah 2:9). Thank you and praise you, Heavenly Father!

The second blessing I wish to highlight in my thanks to the Lord is my family. And what a family He has given me! Never in my wildest dreams as a teenager did I ever think I would have a family. Being a social introvert, very overweight, and far from the Lord, having a family was an impossible vision to me. But, praise the Lord, look at our family today!

After saving my soul, the Lord brought Debbie into my life. Regrettably, I take her for granted much too often. Next to the Lord, no one has had such an impact on my life as she. Debbie is my closest and dearest friend and the one person who fills the gaps in my life. I can not imagine living on this planet without her by my side. Being married to her is the greatest earthly blessing I have ever received. I love her so much, even more so than when we were engaged 36 years ago next week. Yes, I realize there is no marriage in heaven and that our love will be directed to Jesus, as it should be. But I do pray the Lord would permit me to worship and serve our Lord in heaven with Debbie by my side forever! Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful woman, wife, and friend!

The Lord’s blessings, though, overflow my cup. Not only did he give me such a wonderful person with whom to spend my life, He then blessed us with nine terrific children! I still have trouble believing that: nine children, praise the Lord! Each of them different with unique personalities and yet loved equally by their mother and father. Each of them with different gifts and abilities yet the pride of their parents in whatever they do. And, just to “sweeten” the blessing further, the Lord has saved each of them. There is no way I can ever express how much my children mean to me. I cannot find the words. Nor is there any way I can ever express my full thanksgiving to the Lord for blessing us with them. If any of my children ever, for one moment, thinks their father does not love them, let them know now and forever, they are seriously mistaken. Thank you, Lord, for these great children!

And, still, the Lord has not ceased to pour out His blessings to me through my family. Since last Thanksgiving He has given me two more grandchildren bringing our total to nine! What a blessing each of them is to me. Obviously, grandparents never get to spend much time with each of their grandchildren. But the lack of time does not diminish the love a grandfather has for them. Truly it is a blessing to sit and hold a new grandchild, a new family member who carries our family’s love, memories, and dreams into another generation. Truly it is a blessing to be able to talk with an older grandchild and hear what they think about life and the Lord. May God bring each of them to saving faith in Christ! Thank you, Lord, for these awesome grandchildren!

Our God has been so kind and so good to me, infinitely more than I ever deserve. He has poured out blessing upon blessing on one who deserves only condemnation and wrath. How can I not be thankful to Him?

Thank you, Lord Jesus, and may you be glorified in my faith and in my family, both of which have come from you.

No comments: