Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Grandchildren

Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers. Proverbs 17:6

My 9th grandchild, little Lydia Leigh, was born this week. She is truly a blessing to her parents and a delight to all her relatives. As I watched my son and daughter-in-law hold and love their first child, my feelings were the same as they were when each of my other grandchildren was born. You most likely think I am going to say I felt “joy” or “excitement” or “love” or some other similar word. Well, I did feel all of those emotions and many others. But the primary thought which crossed my mind and gripped my heart with Lydia’s birth is the same one I have had with the birth of each grandchild: accomplishment.

Graciously, God gave us nine wonderful children, eight of whom I was actually in the room when the child was born, four for whom I actually cut the cord. What a tremendous feeling it is to be a father! That feeling does not wane from the first to the last child. It is an awesome experience and floods you with so many emotions. I don’t believe anything can top it except, perhaps, motherhood! Nevertheless, fatherhood also brought with it an immediate feeling of terrific responsibility. You ARE the father! Ultimately, you are responsible for your family including this new life.

But, too soon your child is an adult, then married, then having a child of their own. Whether the child is your son or your daughter makes no difference. The child they bring into this world is your grandchild. They are now the father (or mother); you ARE the grandfather!

Yes, there is still a sense of responsibility but not nearly the kind experienced as a father. Sure, you need to help, as you can and as you are permitted, raise this child in the nurture and admonition of the Lord but that responsibility primarily now lies with your son or daughter, not you. What I specifically sensed was that feeling of accomplishment. The baton has been exchanged with your child. Or, as President Kennedy said, “The torch has been passed to a new generation.”

You raised your children the best you could though now, looking back, you realize how often you failed in that endeavor. They are now the parents. A new generation arises. The family goes on. Praise the Lord, what an accomplishment, an accomplishment possible only because of the grace of God.

My children’s children are my crown and I thank the Lord for each one of them.

May the Lord Jesus always bless each of them: Jacob, Amanda, Kaitlyn, Kelsey, Brody, Gracie, Bryson, baby Levi, and now, little Lydia.

No comments: