Monday, January 26, 2009

A Letter from my Congressman on FOCA

I wrote a letter to my Congressman and Senators last week asking them to reject any attempt by this administration to pass the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA). Today I received the following response from my Congressman, Rep. Todd Akin.

Dear Reverend Walker:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA.) It was good to hear from you and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, FOCA would establish, as the official policy of the United States that every woman has the "fundamental right to choose" to: (1) bear a child; (2) terminate a pregnancy prior to fetal viability; or (3) terminate a pregnancy after fetal viability when necessary to protect her life or her health. It also
prohibits any federal, state, or local governmental entity from: (a) denying or interfering with a woman's right to exercise such choices; or (b) discriminating against the exercise of those rights in the regulation or provision of benefits, facilities, services, or information - and it makes that prohibition retroactive. It further explicitly authorizes civil suits under the Act, including against federal, state or local governments.

Sadly, this is one of the most divisive pieces of legislation I have seen in all my years of public service. The effects of this legislation would be sweeping and devastating for women who face unplanned pregnancies. It would, in short, codify Roe v. Wade and subsequent related Supreme Court decisions as public law - enshrining abortion on demand: any time, any reason, as U.S. policy. Worse, it would overturn all state laws (including laws currently allowed under Roe v. Wade) designed to protect the health of the mother, prohibit certain late term abortion procedures or recognize medical professionals' rights of conscience. In addition, it could have a far reaching "chilling effect" on the provision of life-affirming services in the non-profit sector.

One of the beliefs on which I will never waiver is that life begins at conception and that we should do all we can to protect the lives of innocent children while they are still in the womb. Because of this conviction, I am committed to ensuring that no woman is forced or coerced into an unwanted or unnecessary abortion. FOCA would eliminate state laws that guarantee women full and accurate information about abortion and further erode the social support system that helps many women make life-affirming choices.

Since Roe v. Wade, thousands of lives have been prematurely ended by various forms of abortion. The numbers of abortions in the United States have been declining for more than a decade due to increased access to (a) practical, life-affirming support, (b) protections for minors, and (c) information about the serious physical, psychological and spiritual after effects of abortion. FOCA would roll back many of these protections and increase the number of abortions nationwide. It would send the message to women that abortion is easy, safe and completely acceptable - while having a child, especially in some circumstances is difficult and irresponsible. In fact, states that already have FOCA-like laws see much higher rates of abortions than those states that do not have similar statutes.

I am an active member the Pro-Life Caucus which leads the way in working for life-affirming legislation. In my time in Congress, I have supported a number of pieces of pro-life legislation. Last Congress, I was an original cosponsor of the Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act (H.R. 1063) and I supported an increase in abstinence education funding for fiscal year 2009. I also co-sponsored the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act (H.R. 3442).

I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with me. I believe the Freedom of Choice Act is bad public policy and I will actively oppose it in the 111th Congress. I have also signed a letter to President Obama, calling on him to join me in opposing radical legislation - like FOCA - which would increase abortions across the nation.

It is a privilege to represent you and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me regarding any matter where I might be of assistance. If you would like more information on issues or would like to share further thoughts with me via e-mail, you may visit my
website.

Sincerely,
W. Todd Akin
Member of Congress

If you want to see the letter signed by Rep. Akin (and many others) and sent to the President, let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy.


No comments: